Thursday, September 18, 2008

Jordan University Farwell | Take 3

We always meet people that change us... people that make us better persons... In the three years I worked at JU/ Faculty of Arts and Design... I have met quite a good number of them...
:: HRH Princess Wijdan... In 2004 she was the Dean of the Faculty... and from the early beginning I was impressed with her professionalism... Princess Wijdan is a tough boss... she liked things done her way... at least her way was the right way... but as I got to know her... I discovered how sweet and motherly loving she can be... she used to talk to me... discuss with me things related to Art and Islam... and she recommended some interesting books for me to read... she has supported me when I was about to leave JU for my Post grad study abroad...
In her artwork... beside using Arabic calligraphy in an eye engaging way... you can see and feel both the feminine presence and the Islamic heritage...which for me is very fascinating... She herself is a walking encyclopedia in Islamic Art... which has been always charmingly challenging and sometimes controversial...
I remember the day I said goodbye to her... she was in a faculty meeting... but nevertheless she stood up... and she gave me a good hug... and asked me to take good care of myself and to stay in touch... That was the last time I saw her... Now she is the Jordanian Ambassador in Italy...

:: Hakim Jamain... he is probably the only Jordanian artist that I met and can think of as a true and an honest artist...
I worked with Hakim as his assistant and I remember the many talks we had... where he expressed his views about art, and life... he is a Maverick no doubt... Hakim rekindled in me the spirit of a child... he taught me how to walk and be in unison with what's around me... he taught me new ways of how to see... how to perceive... and how to feel the artful world around... Hakim was if I can say a true friend... he listened to my problems and gave me advices...
He is a person I'm very proud to have known even if for a very short time... he left JU before me... and now he resides in Cairo... flying freely once again...

:: Ruba Haddad... I can't say how much she has been a supporter for me... and how much she means to me... she has become one of my closest friends... people always comments that we are so different... that they don't seem to understand how we click... but in fact me and Ruba share much more together than what meet the eyes...
First time I saw Ruba was back when I was a third year student in Architecture... she was a graduate student... her project caught my attention... and I was standing shyly looking at her putting her last touches on her presentation boards... she was very nice and smiled at me... 4 years after that we met again... but as co-workers...
Ruba... is a very creative person... her head is always full of sparks of crazy ideas... she is very challenging... and she really made my stay at JU an enjoyable and fun thing to do... She always listened to me... and understood my point of view... and she had helped me in so many ways... that she can't even imagine... We have quarreled many times... but we always manage to understand where we went wrong... Ruba is indeed one of the people I will always remember no matter where the tide will take me...

:: Last but not least the long list of MY STUDENTS who have changed me... who made me a better person.. I can't write down their names... I don't want to miss out a name... but when they read this... I'm sure they'll know themselves... They were very challenging to me... they made me want to work harder... and they made my classes very enjoyable.... it is because of them that I knew part of who I am... and I can't express my thanks enough...
I'm proud of them as if they were my children... and I will always remember them... and hope to see them successful in their lives...

As much as I'm excited and happy that I'm leaving JU... part of me... is sad... for I really had some of the best days of my life...
[[That was a memorable day for me, for it made great changes in me. But, it is the same with any life. Imagine one selected day struck out of it, and think how different its course would have been. Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day. ]] Charles Dickens, Great Expectation

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

devoika devoika mish ma32ooleh.... how shell i speak it out
well i met few TEACHERS in my life and i mean few i mean 3, teachers that changed my different stages of my life , they had a big big huge roll in shaping who i am today, i had the honor to be their student, learn and just listen to we they had to pass on to me, and when i listened to what they got i had to put almost no effort to have to memorize them, yet i remember what they said the most....

so to cut my falsafeh short u r one of them miss i mean it, and u know it....
it was an honor being ur student, u made it a complete amazing and wonderful experience just being your student and attending your classes... ufff i don't want to stop writing, because i just sinck in my memories of how amazing and how YOU WERE THE REASON i didn't turn out a sick m3agadeh, schizophrenic person you made me a beautiful person and u made my ju experience worth while, and u know what u are the reason i don't regret it anymore.

waw this is one run on imfalsaff yet very sincere expresion of part of what i have to say..... iffftttt i talk allot, and it's only because i have allot to say, because you had allot to do with me being as strong, good smart designer as i am now... YOU ALWAYS MADE ME WANT TO BECOME A BETTER STUDENT, AND A DESIGNER.... you are super devoikaaaaa

be ikhtesar putting it closer to a bunch of hallmark words, i enjoyed this experience with you, and good luck min albi with your new job and students ENJOY IT....
P.S: ofcourse "min albi" doesn't come with the hallmark bunch of word...
zeina d