Saturday, May 31, 2008

Fighting Media Epidemic

There are a lot of messages that are being fed to us via media whether on TV, Radio, Movies, Ads...
These messages encourage stereotyping... prejudices and can cause much more harm... when they become rooted in our culture...
The other day I wrote about the usage of the word "Niswan" in one pop Arabic song and how it objectifies women...
And then in one of my classes I was discussing with my students issues related to gender identity and especially in our societies... and it made me think more about how many of our values and practices are actually encouraged by common Media...
So a thought came to my mind... I'll start a new series of posts on my blog under the label of "fighting Media epidemic" aimed to address specific cases in Media especially Arab Media where a certain stereotype is being raised...
I want to see what hidden messages some of the things we see and hear and pay no heed to can create patterns in our culture and affect us negatively...
These messages can be related to anything from women, Arabs, Islam, children, racism, weight, glamour...
I want this to be more of a collaborative work... So if you have anything in mind that you want to hear about or want to tell people about... you can email me and I can post it for you... under your name...

My first post will be coming soon...

No comments: